Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shufflin' Thro My Ipod-"Don't Believe A Word"

Thin Lizzy will always hold a special place in my heart,they were the first "rock"band I ever got into,I can still remember buying the 7' vinyl single of"Whiskey In The Jar" in 1973 in Ireland.
I only ever saw them live once,at famed Hammersmith Odeon in 1981 on the "Renegade"tour but like any true rock fan I own a copy of 1976's classic "Live And Dangerous" on both vinyl and cd.
For a band that lost it's heart and soul 23 years ago when lead singer Phil Lynott died it still keeps rolling on,the recent discovery of a 1977 show at The Tower theater here in Philly not only keeps the Thin Lizzy legacy going but also introduces a whole new era of fans either too young to have ever heard/heard of them and also draw in older fans who for whatever reason passed on Phil and co back in the day.
"Don't Believe A Word" is off of Lizzy's 76 album "Johnny The Fox" it's a typical Phil Lynott "lock up your daughter"song,he had that swagger in both his music and lyrics that makes you wonder how many hearts were left broken as Lizzy toured the world.
"Don't believe me if I tell you that I wrote this song for you,there might be some other pretty silly girl I'm singing it to"
Def Leppard cover "Don't Believe A Word" on their 2006 cd of cover tunes "Yeah",a fitting tip of the hat tribute to Thin Lizzy's considerable influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment