Sunday, June 28, 2009

Back In The New York Groove

I love New York City so it was a no brainer to take the train ride up from Philly to catch"The Story Of Anvil"movie.
I saw the trailer for the movie 2 months ago,I'm not gonna front,despite all my years of being a rock music fan{31 and counting}I wasn't fully aware of Anvil or their history but their name had cropped up from time to time.
The trailer looked great and I thought this was a movie I'd enjoy,sadly it only played in Philly for two weeks b4 getting pulled,go figure,the buzz on the movie began to pick up and Anvil landed the opening slot for AC/DC's upcoming North American stadium dates,gotta love Philly,shit we didn't even get the Whitesnake/Priest tour! so it was off to the East Village to catch the movie.

It is a feel good story,alot of bands would've given up by now but credit to Lips and Robb for following their dream.
Sure there are elements of Spinal Tap in the movie,the classic "Hello Cleveland"scene as the band leave their dressing room heading to the stage in Transylvania and the volume control going upto 11 in the recording studio.
There are also elements of Metallica's"Some Kind Of Monster" as Lips and Robb argue in the studio during the making of the "This Is Thirteen"album.

Do you need to be an Anvil fan to really enjoy the movie?sure it helps but like I said my knowledge of the band was limited and I loved the movie,when Robb talks about"I stayed dedicated to what?"it struck a cord w/ me as I struggle to deal w/ my recent tendon injury and question my recent devotion to my running.
For Anvil there looks to be a happy ending,after 30 years they look to be getting their just rewards,the movie will introduce them to a whole new legion of rock/metal fans and I for one look forward to catching them at Giants Stadium when they open for AC/DC next month and maybe just maybe Lips and Robb's refusal to quit is the spark I need to get back to my running in spite of my recent injury,inspiration comes in many forms who knew a 30 year old Canadian rock/metal band would be mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment